Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Buchanan in Botetourt County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Buchanan

 
 
Buchanan Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kathy Walker, October 19, 2009
1. Buchanan Marker
Inscription. The town was established in 1811 and named for Colonel John Buchanan, pioneer and soldier. It was incorporated in 1833. Its importance consisted in its being the western terminus of the James River and Kanawha Canal, which reached the town in 1851. Hunter passed here moving to Lynchburg, June, 1864. The town was reincorporated in 1892.
 
Erected 1948 by Virginia Conservation Commission. (Marker Number A 58.)
 
Location. 37° 31.551′ N, 79° 40.92′ W. Marker is in Buchanan, Virginia, in Botetourt County. Marker is on Main Street (U.S. 11), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 19568 Main Street, Buchanan VA 24066, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Botetourt Artillery (here, next to this marker); Wilson Warehouse (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Anchorage (approx. 0.2 miles away); Buchanan & The James River & Kanawha Canal (approx. 0.3 miles away); Buchanan Bridge (approx. 0.3 miles away); Looney's Ferry (approx. one mile away); Mount Joy (approx. 1.8 miles away); Cartmill's Gap (approx. 2.5 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Buchanan.
 
Categories. War, US CivilWaterways & Vessels
 
Buchanan Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kathy Walker, October 19, 2009
2. Buchanan Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 29, 2009, by Kathy Walker of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,490 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 29, 2009, by Kathy Walker of Stafford, Virginia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement