Shandon in Butler County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The foundation for the first Welsh settlement in Ohio was laid on June 29, 1801, when William and Morgan Gwilym purchased land in what is now Morgan Township at the Cincinnati Land Office. The Welsh, who settled in Pennsylvania beginning in the late eighteenth century, moved westward and settled here in 1802. This area was also the major terminus for the 1818 migration from Montgomeryshire and Cardiganshire in Wales. In 1803 a Congregational Church was organized and services were held in members' homes or outdoors. A brick Meetinghouse, complete with a Welsh death door leading to the cemetery, was constructed in 1824. The building now serves as the Community House. The present brick church was built in 1854. For many years, the library, formed in 1852, was housed in the New London Special School District building that stood on this site.
(Continued on other side)
(Continued from other side)
A post office, established in 1831, was named for a nearby stream called Paddy's Run, the local name of New London having been rejected by the Postmaster General. Objecting to being called "Paddies" outside the community, younger residents lobbied for a name change. The community became Glendower in 1886 and again Paddy's Run in 1888 after citizens staged a boycott of the Post Office in 1887. As a compromise,
Erected 2003 by The Ohio Bicentennial Commission, The Longaberger Company, Morgan Township Historical Society, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 17-9.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 39° 19.554′ N, 84° 42.845′ W. Marker is in Shandon, Ohio, in Butler County. Marker is on Cincinnati-Brookville Road (Ohio Route 126), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is about 50 feet east of the Morgan Township Fire Department's Shandon Station. Marker is in this post office area: Shandon OH 45063, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are Founding Members of the Morgan Township Fire Department (approx. 1.8 miles away); 1858 Morgan Township House / Copperheadism in Butler County (approx. 3.2 miles away); Dunlap's Station (approx. 4 miles away); Bethel Chapel 1815- 1873 (approx. 5.7 miles away); Bethel Chapel (approx. 5.7 miles away); Birthplace of William Bebb (approx. 5.7 miles away); Bunker Hill / Dog Town (approx. 6.4 miles away); Bunker Hill Universalist Church/Bunker Hill Cemetery (approx. 6.6 miles away).
Also see . . . Benjamin Chidlaw and Paddy's Run. (Submitted on November 2, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Notable Persons • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 2, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,745 times since then and 46 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 2, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.