Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Richmond, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Albemarle Paper

 
 
Albemarle Paper Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, November 3, 2009
1. Albemarle Paper Marker
Inscription. In 1916, the Dixie Paper Company opened a paper mill in the building of the closed Brown’s Island electric plant. By 1919, the mill was taken over by Albemarle Paper Company, which had been operating a paper mill just upriver at Hollywood since 1887. The Brown’s Island mill made kraft paper and operated until 1967. The mill buildings filled the island, with the last pulled down in 1978.

In 1957, Albemarle Paper purchased the Tredegar Iron Works property. By then it had acquired most of Gamble’s Hill, and built its headquarters there, occupying them in 1962. In 1962, the company also bought the Ethyl Corporation of Delaware, a firm much larger than itself, and Albemarle Paper adopted the name Ethyl Corporation. In 1969, Ethyl sold the Hollywood paper plant to the James River Corporation, which is headquartered there.

(sidebar)
Two Pulleys and a Gear
Preserved here from the paper mill’s machinery are a breaker beater driven pulley (the large one), a floor beater driven pulley, and a cast core mortise gear.
 
Location. 37° 32.041′ N, 77° 26.472′ W. Marker is in Richmond, Virginia. Marker can be reached from the intersection of South 7th Street and Tredegar Street. Touch for map. This marker is on the Richmond
Brown's Island Paper Mill Buildings image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, November 3, 2009
2. Brown's Island Paper Mill Buildings
A — Pulpdock — serving #2 Breaker Beater (shed covered)
B — Pulpdock (shed covered) — serving Pulp Storage shed #1 Breaker Beater and later Hydropulper serving both paper machines
C — Pulp Storage Shed
D — Beater Room Extension
E — #1 Machine Jordan Room
F — #1 Thickener Building
G — Paper Machine Room (2 Fourdrinier Machines)
H — #1 Finishing Building
I — #2 Finishing Building
J — Finishing Stock Storage
K — Ramp (Lift Truck,) Mach. rm. floor level to basement shipping
L — Covered
M — Steam Boilers
N — Steam Turbine Rm.
O — Switch Room
P — Machine Shop
Q — Storehouse
R — Electric Shop
S — Welding Shop
Riverfront Canal Walk on Brown's Island. Marker is in this post office area: Richmond VA 23219, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Electricity for Streetcars (here, next to this marker); Brown’s Island (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Brown’s Island (a few steps from this marker); Manchester & Free Bridges (within shouting distance of this marker); R&P Railroad Piers (within shouting distance of this marker); Confederate Laboratory (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Canal Walk / Historic Canals (about 400 feet away); John Jasper (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Richmond.
 
More about this marker. On the upper left is a photograph of "Brown’s Island Mill Early 1950’s" (Photo by Dementi, Courtesy of Dementi-Foster Studio)

On the lower left is a map of "Brown’s Island, circa 1940" (Map by R.E. Johnson, Courtesy Ethyl Corporation)
 
Also see . . .
1. Richmond Riverfront Canal Walk. Venture Richmond (Submitted on November 5, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.) 

2. History of Albemarle Paper Manufacturing Company. NewMarket Corporation,
Two Pulleys and a Gear image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, November 3, 2009
3. Two Pulleys and a Gear
Preserved here from the paper mill’s machinery are a breaker beater driven pulley (the large one), a floor beater driven pulley, and a cast core mortise gear.
the parent company of Ethyl Corporation. (Submitted on November 5, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. 20th CenturyIndustry & Commerce
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 5, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 893 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 5, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement