Camillus in Onondaga County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
9 Mile Creek Aqueduct
Built 1842 By NY State. In
Use 1845 - 1918, Replacing
1819 Aqueduct Located Just
Downstream. One of 32 On
The 19th Century Erie Canal.
of N.Y.S. 1999
These Limestone Arches &
Piers Held a Wooden Water-
Filled Trunk 144 Feet Long
And 49 Feet Wide, Carrying
Boats, People and Products.
of N.Y.S. 1999
Erected 2009 by the Canal Society of New York State.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Erie Canal marker series.
Location. 43° 3.53′ N, 76° 17.203′ W. Marker is in Camillus, New York, in Onondaga County. The marker is posted beside the Erie Canalway Trail, which is the old canal towpath, a short way from Thompson Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Camillus NY 13031, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Paddock Mill (approx. George Geddes Farm (approx. 2½ miles away); Syracuse Area (approx. 2.8 miles away); Old Erie Canal (approx. 4.9 miles away); Jesuit Mission (approx. 5.2 miles away); Thirteen Curves (approx. 5.2 miles away); Heritage Monument Founders 1997 (approx. 5.2 miles away); Scott Mulholland (approx. 5.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Camillus.
More about this marker. The aqueduct marker was commissioned by the Canal Society of New York State in 1999 and presented to the Camillus Erie Canal Park during a Society field trip to the Camillus area in 1999. However, it was not erected at that time, instead it was placed on display in the Sims' Store Museum at the Camillus Erie Canal Park until after the aqueduct restoration was completed and a few weeks before the autumn meeting of the Canal Society of New York State at which time it was installed and ceremonially rededicated on Saturday, October 17, 2009.
Regarding 9 Mile Creek Aqueduct. Nine Mile Creek Aqueduct is a restored stone and wood aqueduct of the Erie Canal over Nine Mile Creek in Camillus, New York. It was built in 1841 and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976.
The towpath part of the structure has four arches of 30 feet each. The structure was built of stone joined by a marine cement that was relatively new at the time, but which has endured well.
The aqueduct is within the Camillus Erie Canal Park. Restoration work began in 2008, and the wooden bottom and sides of the aqueduct were restored in 2009, enabling it to carry water again, and enabling reconnection
In August 2009, boats traversed the restored aqueduct for the first time since 1917.
Also see . . .
1. Nine Mile Creek Aqueduct Restoration. Frank E. Sadowski Jr's website, "The Erie Canal" - Nine Mile Creek Aqueduct Restoration documents the 9 Mile Creek Aqueduct restoration project with over 50 photos from different phases of the construction between April and September, 2009. (Submitted on November 7, 2009, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.)
2. Camillus Erie Canal Park. Nine Mile Aqueduct Restoration page of the Camillus Erie Canal Park webpage. (Submitted on November 7, 2009, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.)
Additional keywords. Camillus Erie Canal Park
Categories. • Bridges & Viaducts • Man-Made Features • Notable Buildings • Waterways & Vessels •
More. Search the internet for 9 Mile Creek Aqueduct.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 2, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 7, 2009, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. This page has been viewed 1,769 times since then and 41 times this year. This page was the Marker of the Week January 24, 2010. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 7, 2009, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. 3. submitted on October 24, 2017, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on November 7, 2009, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.