Coltons Point in St. Mary's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Shrinking Island
During the 1920s, the Federal Government used layers of large stones, called riprap, to control erosion near the Blackistone Island Lighthouse. Fifty years later, through the efforts of the St. Mary's Historical Society and the State of Maryland, riprap now surrounds the entire island. The Maryland Park Service continues efforts to slow the effects of erosion by allowing vegetation to grow and by limiting recreational use of the island.
Hurricane Isabel's Devastation
During Hurricane Isabel in 2003, the Potomac waters forced a wall of riprap to collapse and washed away a portion of the island's bank. The fury of scores of hurricanes has shaped the Chesapeake Bay islands and beaches for more than 10,000 years.
[map image] A survey map, last revised by the military in 1920, illustrates how the island had changed shape and decrease in size since the 1883 survey.
[1920s photo] A 1920s photo, taken from the Blackistone
[photo] Riprap is more than rocks
A filter fabric is placed behind the riprap, making the erosion control more effective. The fabric allows the water to flow off the island and traps the soil normally lost in the run off.
Erected by Chesapeake Bay Gateways Network, Maryland Department of Natural Resources.
Location. 38° 12.548′ N, 76° 44.55′ W. Marker is in Coltons Point, Maryland, in St. Mary's County. Marker can be reached from Point Breeze Road 0.2 miles east of Colton Point Road (Maryland Route 242). Touch for map. Marker is on St. Clements Island which is only accessibly by boat. A ferry operates on weekends from the St. Clement's Island Museum on Point Breeze Road. Marker is in this post office area: Coltons Point MD 20626, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. "...one of the pleasantest summer resorts on the Potomac" (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Clement's Island (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); "With a laudable and pious zeal..." (about 600 feet away); Welcome to St. Clement's Island (about 700 feet away); A Target for Big Guns (about 700 feet away); Blackistone Island Lighthouse (about 800 feet away); Maryland Began Here! (approx. ¼ mile away); a different marker also named Welcome to St. Clement's Island (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Coltons Point.
Categories. • 20th Century • Colonial Era • Environment • Natural Resources •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 7, 2009, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 767 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 7, 2009, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland.