Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Oneonta in Blount County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Blount County

A County Older Than the State

 
 
Blount County Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tim Carr, November 7, 2009
1. Blount County Marker
Inscription. Created Feb. 7, 1818 by Alabama Territorial Legislature from lands ceded by the Creek Indian Nation. Named for the Tennessee Governor W. G. Blount, who sent militia under Andrew Jackson to punish the Creeks for Fort Mims massacre. Jackson fought and won the Creek War. Creek gave up half of their lands in Treaty of Ft. Jackson, 1814. Some of Jackson's men were first settlers of Blount. County seat moved here in 1889.
 
Erected 2006 by Alabama Historical Association.
 
Location. 33° 56.832′ N, 86° 28.458′ W. Marker is in Oneonta, Alabama, in Blount County. Marker is at the intersection of Second Avenue East (US Highway 231) and 4th Street North, on the right when traveling west on Second Avenue East (US Highway 231). Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Oneonta AL 35121, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Historic Oneonta L & N Railroad Depot (approx. 0.2 miles away); Champion Mines (approx. 1.1 miles away); Bailey School (approx. 7.9 miles away); Battle Royal (approx. 8.4 miles away); Exploit of Murphree Sisters
Blount County Marker On The Courthouse Grounds image. Click for full size.
By Tim Carr, November 7, 2009
2. Blount County Marker On The Courthouse Grounds
(approx. 8.4 miles away); Gabriel Hanby, 1786-1826 (approx. 8.6 miles away); History of Locust Fork (approx. 8.7 miles away); Homesite and Grave of George Powell (approx. 9.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Oneonta.
 
Also see . . .  More About Blount County. (Submitted on November 10, 2009, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama.)
 
Categories. GovernmentNative AmericansSettlements & SettlersWars, US Indian
 
Blount County Courthouse Built in 1954 image. Click for full size.
By Tim Carr
3. Blount County Courthouse Built in 1954
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 10, 2009, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,878 times since then and 66 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 10, 2009, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement