Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Mount Kisco in Westchester County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Old North Castle Church

 
 
The Old North Castle Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, November 10, 2009
1. The Old North Castle Church Marker
Inscription.
On this site St. Georges Church (“the Old North Castle Church”) was erected in 1761 by the generosity of St. George Talbot, Esq. of New York City and by the missionary zeal of the Rev. James Wetmore of Grace Church, Rye. Charles Haight, Esq, donated the land.
This Church stood until 1819 and was used during the Revolution as a hospital by the American forces after the Battle of White Plains, October 28, 1776, and as a British base for Colonel Tarleton's attack on Pound Ridge and Bedford, July 2, 1779. Major John Andre, as a prisoner of war, twice passed along this road on September 23, 1780. Revolutionary soldiers are buried in the southeast corner of this ground.
The house directly to the south of this churchyard was built in 1824 by the Methodist Society and was used for worship until 1842. Caleb Kirby, Esq. donated the land.
St. Mark's Church stood on this site from 1852 until its present buildings were erected in 1911.
This tablet was placed here by the Village of Mt. Kisco, 1929
 
Erected 1929 by Village of Mt. Kisco.
 
Location. 41° 11.668′ N, 73° 43.527′ W. Marker is in Mount Kisco, New York, in Westchester County. Marker is at the intersection of East Main Street (New
The Old North Castle Church Marker and Burial Ground image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, November 10, 2009
2. The Old North Castle Church Marker and Burial Ground
York State Route 117) and Wallace Street, on the left when traveling north on East Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mount Kisco NY 10549, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. United Methodist Church of Mount Kisco (approx. 0.4 miles away); Mount Kisco Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.9 miles away); Christopher Columbus (approx. 0.9 miles away); For God and Country (approx. 3.1 miles away); School House 1829 (approx. 4.3 miles away); Davenport House (approx. 4.7 miles away); North Castle World War I Memorial (approx. 4.9 miles away); North Castle Veterans Memorial (approx. 4.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mount Kisco.
 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches, Etc.Colonial EraSettlements & SettlersWar, US Revolutionary
 
A small marker in the cemetery image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, November 10, 2009
3. A small marker in the cemetery
Revolutionary Soldiers
Buried Here
1775 – 1783
Placed By
Chappaqua Chapter
D.A.R.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 13, 2009, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 868 times since then and 47 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 13, 2009, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement