Arlington National Cemetery in Arlington County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
[East face, top of the arch:]
Here rest 15,585 of the 315,555 citizens who died in defense of our country from 1861 to 1865.
"On fame's eternal camping ground their silent tents are spread,
And glory guards with solemn round, the bivouac of the dead."
[West face, top of the arch:]
Erected 1879 by War Depatment.
Location. 38° 52.727′ N, 77° 4.032′ W. Marker is in Arlington National Cemetery, Virginia, in Arlington County. Marker is on McClellan Drive west of Eisenhower Drive. Touch for map. Marker is in Section 12 of the National Cemetery. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Myer VA 22211, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. U.S.S. Houston and H.M.A.S. Perth (within shouting distance of this marker); Beirut Barracks Victims Memorial (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); 63rd Infantry Division Swiss Internees (about 600 feet away); 173d Airborne Brigade (Sep) (about 600 feet away); Chaplains Hill (about 600 feet away); U.S. Secret Army in the Kingdom of Laos. (about 800 feet away); U.S. Navy Cruiser Sailors Association (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Arlington National Cemetery.
Also see . . . McClellan Arch. ...The arch was designed by Mr. Lot Flannery and was constructed during the 1870s as a tribute to the Civil War General, George B McClellan, whose war time headquarters were located at Arlington House, It was a tribute to General McClellan rather that a memorial since he did not die until October 29, 1885, and is not buried at Arlington. (Submitted on November 15, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
Additional keywords. Gen. George B. McClellan; Gen. Montgomery C. Meigs; Lot Flannery, designer: McClellan Arch.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 15, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,383 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 15, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 3. submitted on September 8, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.