Winchester, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
First Battle of Winchester
Confederates engaged, 16,000, casualties 400. Federals engaged, 8,000, casualties 2017.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Battlefield Markers Association marker series.
Location. 39° 10.167′ N, 78° 10.796′ W. Marker is in Winchester, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of Jubal Early Drive and Valley Avenue, on the right when traveling west on Jubal Early Drive. Touch for map. Located at the side entrance to the First Bank, Winchester Financial Center, 1835 Valley Ave. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1835 Valley Ave, Winchester VA 22601, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named First Battle of Winchester (approx. 0.4 miles away); 1st Battle of Winchester (approx. half a mile away); a different marker also named First Battle of Winchester (approx. 0.6 miles away); Shawnee Springs Hospital Abram’s Delight (approx. one mile away); The Hollingsworth Family Settlement (approx. one mile away); a different marker also named Abram’s Delight (approx. one mile away); Patsy Cline: Country Music Singer (approx. 1.1 miles away); George Washington (approx. 1.1 miles away); Washington’s Office (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Winchester.
Also see . . .
1. First Battle of Winchester. Battle Summary from the National Parks Service (Submitted on September 19, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
2. General Nathaniel Prentiss Banks. A close friend of Lincoln, Banks held rather high commands during the war. At Winchester, his forces left behind so much material and supplies that Confederates dubbed him "Old Jack's Commissary." Some chided that Banks did more to supply Jackson's command than the Confederate supply system. (Submitted on September 19, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 19, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,960 times since then and 54 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 19, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 3. submitted on April 25, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 4. submitted on December 9, 2008, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.