Vincennes in Knox County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
In 1732, he built a fort here to protect the claims of France in the New World.
In 1736, Vincennes was burned at the stake by Chickasaw Indians near the present town of Fulton, Tennessee.
Erected by Delta Theta Tau Sorority, Epsilon Psi Chapter and Alumnae Association.
Location. 38° 40.821′ N, 87° 32.01′ W. Marker is in Vincennes, Indiana, in Knox County. Marker is at the intersection of Ste Honore Plaza and North 2nd Street on Ste Honore Plaza. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Vincennes IN 47591, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Patriotism of Charles Gratiot (here, next to this marker); Gold Star - - Honor Roll (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of House Occupied as Headquarters (within shouting distance of this marker); Vincennes in the American Revolution (within shouting distance of this marker); U.S.S. Vincennes (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of Ferry Landing The Old Cathedral “French and Indian” Cemetery (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Home of Francis Vigo (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Vincennes.
Also see . . . Video Tour:: “Historic Vincennes”. Courtesy of:: Public Television WILL-TV (Illinois) Eleanor Stasheff produced this historical review of Vincennes, Indiana. The French settled Vincennes in 1782 which was the Capital of the “Indiana Territory” the most important cities of the Midwest with a colorful history. (Submitted on January 9, 2009, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Native Americans • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 17, 2007, by Christopher Light of Valparaiso, Indiana. This page has been viewed 1,372 times since then and 22 times this year. Last updated on September 20, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 17, 2007, by Christopher Light of Valparaiso, Indiana. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.