Deadwood in Lawrence County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Scout for the Union Army
Marshall for Hay City
Dodge City and Abeline
Killed in Deadwood
August 2, 1876
Buried on Mount Moriah
300 feet above this spot
By George R. Hunter
Location. 44° 22.569′ N, 103° 43.735′ W. Marker is in Deadwood, South Dakota, in Lawrence County. Marker is on Sherman Street near Lee Street and Miller Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Deadwood SD 57732, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sherman Street and the East Side (within shouting distance of this marker); Black Hills Pioneers (within shouting distance of this marker); The Great Flood (within shouting distance of this marker); Historic South Dakota Civil Engineering Landmark (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Civic Stability (about 400 feet away); The Fire of 1879 (about 400 feet away); Deadwood City 1876 (about 500 feet away); Waite Block Annex (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Deadwood.
Regarding Wild Bill. The
This piece was originally carved in 1951.
Carved out of light-colored granite, the bust depicts Hickok’s head and one shoulder. It has an air of wildness about it, from the upturned, expectant tilt of his head to the blowing hair and mountain-man style hat and coat he wears. It almost appears as if
Hickok is gazing expectantly toward his next adventure in the Hills.
Also see . . .
1. Wild Bill Hickok. His skills as a gunfighter and scout, along with his reputation as a lawman, provided the basis for his fame, although some of his exploits are fictionalized. His nickname of Wild Bill has inspired similar nicknames for men known for their daring in various fields. (Submitted on January 7, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
2. City of Deadwood. While the gold rush of 1876 brought the likes of Wild Bill Hickok and Calamity Jane, it also provided the wealth to construct a thriving commercial center in the heart of the Black Hills of South (Submitted on January 7, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
3. Tributes to Bill. The bust was rededicated in 1994 after it had been removed to create a bronze cast. The original pedestal had been destroyed during the bust’s absence, so a second was created to replace it. (Submitted on January 7, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 7, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,999 times since then and 66 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on January 7, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.