Louisville in Jefferson County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
Ruﬀ Memorial Wheelmen's Bench / Cycle Carnival 1897
Erected 1897 by Ky. Div. of League of American Wheelmen to honor cycling pioneer A.D. Ruff (1827-96) of Owingsville, Ky. The League's oldest member, he had bicycled to Yellowstone National Park in 1893. Marble fountain and stone bench, known to generations of cyclists as "Wheelmen's Bench," designed by famed sculptor Enid Yandell.
On October 8, 1897, a parade of 10,000 cyclists passed here to celebrate a new cinder bicycling path along Southern Parkway. Viewed by 50,000 spectators, parade began at Third and Broadway and ended at Iroquois Cycle Club. Many cyclists were in costume; ladies wore bloomers. Bugles and cannon fire marked the parade's progress. Presented by the Louisville Bicycle Club - 1997
Erected 1997 by The Kentucky Historical Society & the Kentucky Department of Highways.
Location. 38° 12.108′ N, 85° 45.876′ W. Marker is in Louisville, Kentucky, in Jefferson County. Marker is at the intersection of South 3rd Street (Kentucky Route 1020) and Harlan Avenue, on the right when traveling south on South 3rd Street. Touch for map. Marker is about 25 yards North of where Harlan Avenue "T's" into South 3rd Street. Marker is in this post office area: Louisville KY 40214, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Churchill Downs (approx. half a mile away); Southern Exposition (approx. 1.9 miles away); Conrad-Caldwell House (approx. 1.9 miles away); Chateauesque Architecture / Gilded Age Mansions (approx. 2.2 miles away); First Unitarian Church (approx. 2.9 miles away); Murray Atkins Walls Civil Rights Pioneer (approx. 3 miles away); George Denison Prentice (approx. 3 miles away); Sit-In Demonstration Site (approx. 3.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Louisville.
Categories. • Notable Persons • Sports •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 10, 2010, by Karl Stelly of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,002 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on January 10, 2010, by Karl Stelly of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. 2. submitted on January 12, 2010, by Karl Stelly of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. 3. submitted on January 10, 2010, by Karl Stelly of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.