Upper Sandusky in Wyandot County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Departure of the Wyandot Indians
Ohio Historical Marker
The 1817 Treaty of Fort Meigs opened much of northwest Ohio to white settlement. In return, the U.S. Government granted the Wyandot Nation permanent use of the Grand Reserve at present-day Upper Sandusky. There farming continued, a school was built, and, in 1824, this Mission Church was constructed by Indians and Methodist missionaries. However, the Indian Removal Act of 1830 called for relocation of all eastern Native Americans to areas beyond the Mississippi River. By 1840, all Ohio Indians had been removed except for the Wyandot, who refused to leave, preferring instead to stay upon their beloved Sandusky (now known as Killdeer) Plains.
Facing considerable pressure from Federal authorities, the Wyandot Nation in 1842 agreed to relinquish the Grand Reserve and move west. From this site on July 12, 1843, 664 individuals began their week-long journey to awaiting steamboats at Cincinnati. The Wyandot were the last organized Native American people to leave Ohio, settling in modern-day Kansas and Oklahoma. (Continued on side two)
[Reverse side of marker]: "Departure of the Wyandot Indians"
(Continued from side one) In remembrance of the Wyandot Indians.
(Engraving of enclosed artwork; the Wyandot branding iron
The branding iron design used by the Wyandot Nation, late 1700s.
Erected 1999 by Ohio Bicentennial Commission, The Longaberger Company, City of Upper Sandusky, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 2-88.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 40° 50.136′ N, 83° 16.696′ W. Marker is in Upper Sandusky, Ohio, in Wyandot County. Marker is at the intersection of East Church Street and North 4th Street, on the left when traveling east on East Church Street. Touch for map. To view this historic marker, when traveling on US 23, take the exit for state routes 53 and 67 and head south towards the village of Upper Sandusky, Ohio, for approximately 1.6 miles. Then look to turn left (east) on East Church Street. Upon turning onto East Church Street, head east for approximately 0.2 miles and the marker should be readily seen on the left (north) side of the street, the side of the street where the cemetery is located, about 0.2 miles east of state routes 53 and 67. Marker is at or near this postal address: 200 East Church Street, Upper Sandusky OH 43351, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as Wyandott Indian Mission (within shouting distance of this marker); John Stewart (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Wyandot Mission Church (about 400 feet away); Fort Ferree (approx. 0.6 miles away); Col. William Crawford (approx. 0.6 miles away); Wyandot Indian Council House (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Lincoln Highway (approx. 0.8 miles away); Battle Island (approx. 1.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Upper Sandusky.
Categories. • Native Americans • Notable Events •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 16, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 2,635 times since then and 91 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 16, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.