Harveysburg in Warren County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Harveysburg / The Harveysburg School
Side A: Harveysburg
The Quaker village of Harveysburg was founded in 1829 on land originally a part of Colonel Abraham Buford's Revolutionary War Land Grant. Levi Lukens, a Virginia Quaker, purchased the 1000 - acre survey in 1812 and sold a portion to Rhoden Ham in 1815. Ham then sold a portion of his holdings to William Harvey, a Quaker originally from North Carolina, who developed 47 lots for a village which thrived from its beginnings. Early businesses included grist mills, a tin shop, hardware store, blacksmith shop, a large pork packing plant, a bank, and a dry goods store owned by William Harvey. Its first post office opened in 1839. Harveysburg was incorporated in 1844. The village received its name from a merchant in Cincinnati who told William Harvey that he should add burg to his name and call the place Harveysburg.
Side B: The Harveysburg School
In Harveysburg's early years Elizabeth Harvey, wife of Dr. Jesse Harvey, recognized the need to educate African American and Native American children in the area. The Harveys built the Harverysburg School in 1831, which was one of the first schools for such minority children in Ohio and the Northwest Territory. It was supported by the Harveys and members of the Grove Monthly Meeting of Friends. Stephen Wall, a wealthy North Carolina plantation owner,
Erected 2008 by The Harveysburg Community Historical Society and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 10-83.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 39° 30.161′ N, 84° 0.372′ W. Marker is in Harveysburg, Ohio, in Warren County. Marker is on North Street near Loraine Avenue, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 23 North Street, Harveysburg OH 45032, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Bullskin Trace (approx. 0.4 miles away); John Evans House (approx. 4.7 miles away); Friends Burial Ground Chester Township Veterans Memorial (approx. 5.3 miles away); Unknown Union Soldier (approx. 5.4 miles away); Engle Mill Road Covered Bridge (approx. 7.1 miles away); Historic Little Miami River (approx. 7.1 miles away); George Barrett Cement House (approx. 7.4 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. Harveysburg Free Black School. (Submitted on January 17, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Harveysburg on Caesar's Creek. (Submitted on January 17, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • African Americans • Churches, Etc. • Education • Industry & Commerce • Native Americans • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons • War, US Civil • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 17, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 831 times since then and 60 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on January 17, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.