Upper Sandusky in Wyandot County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Wyandot Mission Church
Used by the Wyandot Indians till 1843
First American Methodist Mission
Designated as a Shrine
1960 Methodist General Conference
Erected by John Stewart Methodist Church, Upper Sandusky, Ohio.
Location. 40° 50.203′ N, 83° 16.695′ W. Marker is in Upper Sandusky, Ohio, in Wyandot County. Marker is at the intersection of East Church Street and North 4th Street, on the left when traveling east on East Church Street. Touch for map. To view this historic marker, when traveling on US 23, take the exit for state routes 53 and 67 and head south towards the village of Upper Sandusky, Ohio, for approximately 1.6 miles. Then look to turn left (east) on East Church Street. Upon turning onto East Church Street, head east for approximately 0.2 miles and then on the left, between two historic markers, is the side entrance to the cemetery that leads directly to the Wyandot Mission Church. The historical marker is affixed to an outside wall of the Mission Church. Marker is in this post office area: Upper Sandusky OH 43351, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. John Stewart (a few steps from this marker); Departure of the Wyandot Indians Wyandott Indian Mission (about 400 feet away); Fort Ferree (approx. 0.7 miles away); Wyandot County Courthouse & The Shawshank Redemption (approx. 0.7 miles away); Col. William Crawford (approx. 0.7 miles away); Wyandot Indian Council House (approx. 0.7 miles away); The Lincoln Highway (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Upper Sandusky.
Also see . . . The Old Mission Church. "The Wyandot Indian Mission was founded by John Stewart in 1816. Three years later, the Wyandot Mission became the first officially recognized mission of the Methodist Episcopal Church in America." (Submitted on January 26, 2010.)
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion • Native Americans •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 18, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,516 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on January 18, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.