Birmingham in Jefferson County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Wilson Chapel And Cemetery
("The Little Brown Church in the Wildwood")
Frances Wilson's father, Audley Hamilton, was granted this land in 1818 and the cemetery was begun that same year with the oldest graves being those of slaves. Many Wilson family members have been buried here over the years.
The cemetery was deeded to the Methodist Church in 1896 by James Wilson. The chapel was for many years called "The Little Brown Church in the Wildwood" and was used for weddings, community meetings and religious services of many denominations. Since 1955 the chapel has served an active Methodist congregation.
Erected 1989 by Alabama Historical Commission / Roebuck Springs Garden Club, Roebuck Springs Neighborhood Association, & The City of Birmingham.
Location. 33° 34.908′ N, 86° 42.276′ W. Marker is in Birmingham, Alabama, in Jefferson County. Marker is at the intersection Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 412 Cumberland Drive, Birmingham AL 35206, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Roebuck Springs Historic District (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Roebuck Spring (approx. 0.3 miles away); Zion Memorial Gardens (approx. 1.2 miles away); East Lake Park (approx. 1.4 miles away); Ruhama Baptist Church (approx. 1.6 miles away); Howard College (approx. 1.9 miles away); East Lake Community (approx. 2 miles away); CDR "Snuffy" Smith (approx. 2.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Birmingham.
Categories. • African Americans • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion • Notable Places • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 25, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 20, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 2,157 times since then and 56 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on January 20, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.