“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Surry in Surry County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)

History on Crouch’s Creek

History on Crouch's Creek Marker image. Click for full size.
By Laura Troy, September 23, 2007
1. History on Crouch's Creek Marker
Inscription. Originally called Tappahannock Creek by the English, Crouch’s Creek flowed through a number of early English settlements. By 1625 George Sandys had holdings in Surry County, known as Treasurer’s Plantation, east of the creek. Sandys was a poet, a member of the Council of State, and treasurer of the Virginia Company. Returning to England by the late 1620s, he published and English translation of Ovid’s Metamorphoses. Thomas Crouch patented land on the creek in 1638 and eventually the creek took his name. By 1702, a ferry operated between Jamestown and Crouch’s Creek.
Erected 2004 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number K-234.)
Location. 37° 7.77′ N, 76° 48.336′ W. Marker is near Surry, Virginia, in Surry County. Marker is at the intersection of Alliance Road and Colonial Trail East (Virginia Route 10), on the right when traveling north on Alliance Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Surry VA 23883, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Chippokes Plantation (here, next to this marker); Pleasant Point (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Capt. Jacob Faulcon, C.S.A. (approx. 1.7 miles away); Surry County Confederate Monument (approx. 1.7 miles away); Smith’s Fort Plantation (approx. 1.7 miles away); Surry County War Memorial (approx. 1.7 miles away); Chanco (approx. 1.7 miles away); Organization of the Christian Church (approx. 2.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Surry.
Categories. Notable Persons
Credits. This page was last revised on September 8, 2017. This page originally submitted on September 23, 2007, by Laura Troy of Burke, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,066 times since then and 25 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on September 23, 2007, by Laura Troy of Burke, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement