Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Winchester, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Colonel James Wood

 
 
Colonel James Wood Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, October 5, 2008
1. Colonel James Wood Marker
Inscription. Colonel James Wood, the founder of Winchester, was a native of the ancient city of the same name in England. He laid out and founded the new town prior to 1740. It received a charter of incorporation from the colonial legislature in February 1752.

Colonel Wood was the first surveyor of the county of Orange, from which the new county of Frederick was carved by authority of an act of the House of Burgesses passed in 1738. Upon the formal organization of Frederick County, in 1743, he was commissioned by the Governor of the Colony of Virginia to act as the first clerk of Frederick Couny, an office which he held until his death on November 6, 1759.

Under his supervision the first court house for Frederick County was built. It stood upon the site of the present structure and was, in fact, the first court house erected west of the Blue Ridge. During its construction the office of the county clerk was held in a building on the lawn of his residence, "Glen Burnie," built by him in the western suburbs. This mansion, still in the possession of lineal descendants, illustrates one of the types of pre-Revolutionary architecture in Virginia. The first seal of the court of Frederick County, still in occasional use, is represented upon this tablet.
 
Location. 39° 11.067′ N,
Plaques in Front of the Court House image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, October 5, 2008
2. Plaques in Front of the Court House
78° 9.903′ W. Marker is in Winchester, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of North Loudoun Street and Rouss Avenue, on the right when traveling north on North Loudoun Street. Touch for map. Located at the front of the Frederick County Courthouse. Both Loudoun and Rouss streets are closed to vehicle traffic around the courthouse. Marker is in this post office area: Winchester VA 22601, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lord Fairfax (here, next to this marker); George Washington's Political Career Began on this Site (a few steps from this marker); Frederick County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Taylor Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); Jacob H. Yost Building (within shouting distance of this marker); A View of Winchester in 1745 - The Four Public Lots (within shouting distance of this marker); Second Battle of Winchester (within shouting distance of this marker); Rouss City Hall Historical Tour (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Winchester.
 
Categories. Colonial EraPolitical SubdivisionsSettlements & Settlers
 
The County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain
3. The County Courthouse
This courthouse replaced the earlier log courthouse at which George Washington's political career began.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 25, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,045 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on January 25, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement