Orangeburg in Orangeburg County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Old Dixie Club Library
Erected 1958 by The Dixie Club. (Marker Number 38-4.)
Location. 33° 29.555′ N, 80° 52.074′ W. Marker is in Orangeburg, South Carolina, in Orangeburg County. Marker is on Bull Street (State Road 38-1061), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Located between Middleton Street and Broughton Street (US 21, US 178). Marker is in this post office area: Orangeburg SC 29115, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Pioneer Graveyard (within shouting distance of this marker); Jewish Merchants/Jewish Life (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Two Old Guns Of Captain Henry Felder (approx. 0.3 miles away); Court House Square (approx. 0.3 miles away); Orangeburg Confederate Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); Albergotti Playground Defense of Edisto Bridge (approx. half a mile away); Orangeburg County / Discovering Orangeburg (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Orangeburg.
Regarding Old Dixie Club Library. The Dixie Library Building is significant as one of the few antebellum buildings remaining in the city of Orangeburg. It is a one-story, frame Classical Revival building believed to have been built ca. 1850. The building is primarily defined by its simplified Roman Revival temple form, expressed by its longitudinal orientation, its pedimented and low-pitched roof and its pseudo-peripteral colonnade of Tuscan piers. The building has a rudimentary entablature which is raked into the pediment. The tympanum has weatherboard sheathing and a louvered attic vent. The windows have recessed bulkhead panels and louvered shutters. The curious proportions and simplified moldings probably reflect limited command of classical motifs on the part of the builder, rather than any sense of creative innovation on the part of the designer. The building has been moved twice, in 1912 and 1955, but retains its architectural integrity and historic form. A small frame addition has been built
(South Carolina Department of Archives and History)
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Arts, Letters, Music • Landmarks • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 30, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 794 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 30, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 5. submitted on May 12, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.