Bethlehem in Northampton County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
“They have a Sett of Pumps which go by Water, which force the water up through leaden Pipes, from the River to the Top of the Hill, near an hundred feet.”
John Adams to Abigail Adams
A bountiful spring supplied Bethlehem's water needs from 1741 to 1912. At first the Moravians carted this springwater in buckets and wagons up the hillside to the residential area of the town.
In 1754, millwright Hans Christoph Christensen designed and experimented with a pumped system housed in a small log building on this site. The system and building were both enlarged in 1762.
Three pumps, powered by an undershot waterwheel turned by the Monocacy Creek, forced the spring water to a water tower at the top of the hillside above where Central Moravian Church now stands. From the water tower, the water flowed by gravity into four cisterns at various locations in the town and from the cisterns by gravity into many of the buildings. Bethlehem's system is regarded as the first pumped municipal water system in the American colonies. It operated in this building until 1832 when the pumping system was moved to the adjacent oil mill.
The waterworks was restored in 1976. It is an American Water Landmark, an Historic Civil Engineering
[Marker is damaged]
Erected by Historic Bethlehem, HistoryWorks!, and Delaware & Lehigh National Heritage Corridor.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Historic Civil Engineering Landmarks marker series.
Location. 40° 37.147′ N, 75° 22.973′ W. Marker is in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, in Northampton County. Touch for map. Marker is in the Colonial Industrial Quarter of Historic Bethlehem, adjacent to the west wall of the Waterworks building, along the former Ohio Road and about 50 feet north of the Main Street Bridge over the Monocacy Creek. Marker is in this post office area: Bethlehem PA 18018, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Waterworks (here, next to this marker); Oil Mill (here, next to this marker); Bark Shed (within shouting distance of this marker); Colonial Industrial Quarter (within shouting distance of this marker); Pottery (within shouting distance of this marker); Smith Complex (within shouting distance of this marker); West Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Moravian Community (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bethlehem.
Also see . . .
1. Colonial Industrial Quarter. (Submitted on February 5, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Waterworks National Historic Landmark. (Submitted on February 5, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Colonial Era • Landmarks • Man-Made Features • Notable Buildings • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 5, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 593 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on February 5, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.