Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Monroe in Monroe County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

The Navarre - Anderson Trading Post

 
 
The Navarre - Anderson Trading Post Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, February 6, 2010
1. The Navarre - Anderson Trading Post Marker
Inscription. In 1789, Heutrau Navarre, son of Detroit's Royal Notary, built this house, Michigan's oldest residence. Constructed of joined timbers, it is considered the best example of French colonial architecture in the state. Originally Navarre used it as a depot for his fur trade business, but in 1798 converted it to his family residence. After he sold it in 1802 it had two other prominent owners, John Anderson, fur trader and local militia colonel, and Joseph Dazet, physician and refugee from the French Revolution.

To preserve the house the Ilgenfritz family moved it from its original location on Elm Ave. in Monroe in 1894. The Monroe County Historical Society moved it here in 1972 and has restored it as a French homestead.
 
Erected by Monroe County Historical Society.
 
Location. 41° 56.115′ N, 83° 27.663′ W. Marker is near Monroe, Michigan, in Monroe County. Marker is at the intersection of North Custer Road and Raisinville Road, on the left when traveling west on North Custer Road. Touch for map. This historical marker is located on the south side of North Custer Road, about 250 feet east of the Raisinville Road intersection, at a Monroe County Historical Society complex. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3775 North Custer Road, Monroe MI 48162, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.
The Navarre - Anderson Trading Post Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, February 6, 2010
2. The Navarre - Anderson Trading Post Marker
View looking east on North Custer Road towards Monroe, Michigan, of the historical marker in the foreground, and of the Navarre - Anderson Trading Post in the right background of this picture.
At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Navarre - Anderson Trading Post (within shouting distance of this marker); The Custer Home (approx. one mile away); First Indian Trading Post (approx. 3.3 miles away); Old Michigan Southern (approx. 3.4 miles away); Monroe's Soldiers (approx. 3.4 miles away); Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. (approx. 3.4 miles away); Michigan's Tribute to Kentucky (approx. 3.5 miles away); Memorial Place (approx. 3.5 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Monroe.
 
Categories. Notable BuildingsSettlements & Settlers
 
The Navarre - Anderson Trading Post image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, February 6, 2010
3. The Navarre - Anderson Trading Post
View of the Navarre - Anderson Trading Post complex.
The Navarre - Anderson Trading Post Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, February 6, 2010
4. The Navarre - Anderson Trading Post Marker
View of the Navarre - Anderson Trading Post.
The Navarre - Anderson Trading Post image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, February 6, 2010
5. The Navarre - Anderson Trading Post
View of the west side of the Navarre - Anderson Trading Post, note the Plexiglas window that permits one to view the original log cabin structure that still exists underneath the protective frame siding.
The Navarre - Anderson Trading Post image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, February 6, 2010
6. The Navarre - Anderson Trading Post
View of the Plexiglas window in the west side of the Navarre - Anderson Trading Post that enables one to not only view a portion of the original log cabin structure, but also expended musket balls and buckshot from the Battles of the River Raisin that are embedded in the wood.
The Navarre - Anderson Trading Post image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, February 6, 2010
7. The Navarre - Anderson Trading Post
View of labels affixed to to the Navarre - Anderson Trading Post, Plexiglas window, showing where "Large Lead Shot" and a "Musket Ball Hole" are located on the outer surface of the original log cabin structure.
The Navarre - Anderson Trading Post Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, February 6, 2010
8. The Navarre - Anderson Trading Post Marker
View of labels affixed to to the Navarre - Anderson Trading Post, Plexiglas window, showing where ".62 Caliber Ball" and a ".50 Caliber Round Ball" are located on the outer surface of the original log cabin structure.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 9, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,026 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on February 9, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.
Paid Advertisement