Kells in County Meath, Leinster, Ireland — Mid-East (and Dublin)
The courthouse, built in 1801, was designed by the prominent Irish architect Francis Johnston. Johnston also designed the General Post Office and Nelson's Pillar in Dublin, and Townley Hall, County Louth.
A Vantage Point to the Past
Several important landmarks of Kells recent history can be seen from this vantage point in front of the courthouse. Located to the west of the courthouse we find Headfort Place - a wide, tree-lined avenue of Georgian houses - the Headfort estate agent's house b.1880 (currently the Eureka Girls School), and the red-brick estate office b.1872 (currently a petrol station). Dublin Gate, one of the five gates of the medieval town wall, was once situated in the area near the petrol station.
Erected by Meath Tourism.
Location. 53° 43.6′ N, 6° 52.306′ W. Marker is in Kells, Leinster, in County Meath. Marker is at the intersection of Headfort Place (Local Road 163) and Navan Road (National Road 3), on the right when traveling east on Headfort Place. Touch for map.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Market Cross (here, next to this marker); Headfort Place (within shouting distance of this St Columba's Church (approx. half a kilometer away); Suffolk Street (approx. half a kilometer away); The Churchyard Wall (approx. half a kilometer away); Catherine Dempsey (approx. 0.6 kilometers away); Kells Round Tower (approx. 0.6 kilometers away); Spire of Loyd (approx. 2.3 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kells.
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Government • Man-Made Features • Notable Buildings • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 24, 2018. This page originally submitted on February 9, 2010. This page has been viewed 992 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 9, 2010.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photos of buildings mentioned on marker. • Can you help?