Frederick in Frederick County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Hessian Barracks - Witness to History
1778-79 Quartered Hessian and Convention prisoners captured at Bennington and Saratoga
1782 Quartered Hessian and Bayreuth Yager Regiments following Cornwallis' surrender
1799 Quartered French sailors of the L'Surgent captured by U.S.S. Constellation
1802-03 Served as staging center for Lewis and Clark Expedition
1812 Quartered U.S. troops during War of 1812
1824 Visited by General LaFayette
1840-42 Used as silk work cocoonery
1853-60 Used for Frederick County Agricultural Society fairs
1861-65 Housed wounded Confederate and Union troops
1868 Became Maryland School for the Deaf
Placed by Frederick Chapter, NSDAR
Erected 1976 by Frederick Chapter, NSDAR.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
Location. 39° 24.539′ N, 77° 24.578′ W. Marker is in Frederick, Maryland, in Frederick County. Marker can be reached from Clarke Place, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Located on the old Hessian Barracks building inside the Maryland School for the Deaf campus.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. “The Great Baby Waker” (here, next to this marker); The Frederick Town Barracks (a few steps from this marker); United States Army General Hospital #1 (a few steps from this marker); Historic Frederick Barracks (a few steps from this marker); These Barracks (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Frederick Town Barracks (a few steps from this marker); Gen. Bradley T. Johnson (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Freight Depot (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Frederick.
Also see . . . Hessian Barracks. A Revolutionary war prison and Civil War hospital (Submitted on September 26, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Categories. • Education • Notable Buildings • War of 1812 • War, US Civil • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 26, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 4,369 times since then and 63 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 26, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.