Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Wallingford in New Haven County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
 

Lyman Hall

 
 
Lyman Hall Marker (top) image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, February 9, 2010
1. Lyman Hall Marker (top)
Upper Portion of the Marker
Inscription.
[ inscription on top ]
Beneath this Stone
Rests the Remains of
the Hon'bl Lyman Hall Esq.
formerly Governor of this State
who departed this Life the 19th of October 1790
in the 67th Year of his Age
In the Cause of America he was uniformly a
Patriot
In the incumbent Duties of a Husband & a
Father, he acquitted himself with Affection and
Tenderness
But Reader, above all, know from this Inscription
that he left this probationary Scene
as a True Christian & an
Honest Man
To those so mourn'd in Death so lov'd in Life
The childless Parent and the widowed Wife
With Tears inscribes this monumental Stone
That holds his Ashes, and expects her own.

[ inscription on side ]
The State of Georgia having removed to Augusta the remains of Lyman Hall, a signer of the Declaration of Independence and there erected a monument to his memory, the tablet originally covering his grave was in 1857 presented by William D'Antignac to this State by whose order it is deposited in his native town.
 
Erected 1857.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Signers of the Declaration of Independence marker series.
 
Location.
Lyman Hall Marker (top) image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, February 9, 2010
2. Lyman Hall Marker (top)
Lower Portion of the Marker
41° 27.335′ N, 72° 49.347′ W. Marker is in Wallingford, Connecticut, in New Haven County. Marker can be reached from Center Street (Connecticut Route 150) near South Colony Road, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Located in Center Street Cemetery. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2 Center Street, Wallingford CT 06492, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hon. Abraham Doolittle (within shouting distance of this marker); Wallingford World War I Monument (approx. 0.2 miles away); Wallingford Korean War Monument (approx. 0.2 miles away); Wallingford World War II Honor Roll (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Parade Ground (approx. 0.2 miles away); Founders of Wallingford (approx. 0.2 miles away); Wallingford (approx. mile away); Robert Wallace (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wallingford.
 
More about this marker. Center Street Cemetery was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on August 1, 1997.
 
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. Signers Monument in Augusta, Georgia
 
Also see . . .
1. Lyman Hall on Wikipedia. (Submitted on February 15, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
2. Lyman Hall on The New Georgia Encyclopedia
Lyman Hall Marker (top) image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, February 9, 2010
3. Lyman Hall Marker (top)
. (Submitted on February 15, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
 
Categories. GovernmentNotable PersonsPatriots & Patriotism
 
Lyman Hall Marker (side) image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, February 9, 2010
4. Lyman Hall Marker (side)
The State of Georgia having removed to Augusta the remains of Lyman Hall, a signer of the Declaration of Independence and there erected a monument to his memory, the tablet originally covering his grave was in 1857 presented by William D'Antignac to this State by whose order it is deposited in his native town.
Lyman Hall Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, February 9, 2010
5. Lyman Hall Marker
Center Street Cemetery est. 1683 image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, February 9, 2010
6. Center Street Cemetery est. 1683
Center Street Cemetery was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on August 1, 1997.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 15, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 865 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on February 15, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.
Paid Advertisement