St. Augustine in Saint Johns County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Old Spanish Quarries
About 200 yards south-east of this point are the remains of the King's Coquina Quarries. (Coquina, a type of limestone composed of mollusk shells and sand, is found along the north-east coast of Florida.) Coquina was used in the building of many early colonial structures in St. Augustine, including the fortress Castillo de San Marcos (1672-1696).
On July 21, 1821, Major General Andrew Jackson, Florida's first Territorial Governor, established St. Johns County, with St. Augustine as the county seat. It contained all of Florida east of the Suwannee River, approximately 39,400 square miles, with over 1,100 miles of coastline. Since 1821, more counties have been carved from St. Johns' original boundaries, reducing it to 609 square miles of land area.
Erected 1974 by St. Johns County Historical Commission. (Marker Number F-229.)
Location. 29° 52.8′ N, 81° 17.13′ W. Marker is in St. Augustine, Florida, in Saint Johns County. Marker can be reached from Park Road 0.1 miles east of Anastasia Boulevard (Road A1A). Touch for map. Marker is just inside the entrance for Anastasia State Park. Marker is in this post office area: Saint Augustine FL 32084, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Lighthouse and Keepers House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Sentinels of the Coast (approx. 0.4 miles away); St. Augustine on Anastasia Island (approx. half a mile away); Old Spanish Chimney and Well (approx. 1.1 miles away); The Powder House Lot / St Johns County (approx. 1.4 miles away); Mission of Nuestra Señora del Rosario de La Punta (approx. 1.4 miles away); Davis Shores (approx. 1.4 miles away); Dade Pyramids (approx. 1.5 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Augustine.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Natural Features •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 8, 2010, by Madeline Sneed of Oregon, Ohio, United States. This page has been viewed 1,069 times since then and 59 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 8, 2010, by Madeline Sneed of Oregon, Ohio, United States. 3. submitted on April 8, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.