Defiance in Defiance County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Buﬀalo Were Recorded Here In 1718
This entire area was an important Indian trade center from early times to c. 1830.
Trading posts were established here in the middle 1700's including George Ironside's and Peter Lumbar's here at the fort site.
The British maintained practical control over this trade center until following the War of 1812.
Ohio became a state in 1803.
The first permanent settlers arrive during 1817.
The last of the local Indians were removed during the 1830's.
Location. 41° 17.255′ N, 84° 21.412′ W. Marker is in Defiance, Ohio, in Defiance County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Fort Street and Washington Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. This historical marker is located in the park that marks the site of General Wayne's Fort Defiance. The marker is inscribed on a red stone slab that is situated on the high ground overlooking the Auglaize River. Marker is in this post office area: Defiance OH 43512, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Spemica Lawba-Johnny Logan (a few steps from this marker); Fort Defiance, 1794 (a few steps from this marker); Fort Defiance Flagstaff Fort Defiance (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Winchester (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Fort Defiance (within shouting distance of this marker); The Indian Wars (within shouting distance of this marker); French Indian Apple Tree (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Defiance.
Categories. • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers • War of 1812 •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 12, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 937 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 12, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.