Dallas in Dallas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Central National Road
Passing through Lamar, Fannin, Hunt, Collin, and Rockwall counties, the road's terminus in Dallas intersected with the Preston Road (1,000' NNW), which had been opened in 1840 by a group of Texas soldiers under Col. William G. Cooke (1808-1847) to connect the Red River and Austin.
The Central National Road, via its intersection in Dallas with the Preston-Austin Road, connected north and south Texas, creating greater access for pioneers to settle in all areas of the Republic.
Incise on base: Sponsored by Thomas J. Rusk Chapter of the Sons of the Republic of Texas
Erected 1986 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6649.)
Location. 32° 46.975′ N, 96° 48.428′ W. Marker is in Dallas, Texas, in Dallas County. Marker is at the intersection of Munger Avenue and Market Street, on the right when traveling west on Munger Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 808 Munger Avenue, Dallas TX 75202, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Log Cabin Pioneers of Dallas County (approx. 0.2 miles away but has been reported missing); Formerly The Texas School Book Depository Building (approx. ¼ mile away); Dallas County Records Building (approx. ¼ mile away); John Neely Bryan and Margaret Beeman Bryan (approx. ¼ mile away); John F. Kennedy Memorial Plaza (approx. 0.3 miles away); Dealey Plaza (approx. 0.3 miles away); Kennedy Assassination Route (approx. 0.3 miles away); Dealey Plaza National Historic Landmark (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dallas.
Categories. • Man-Made Features • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 20, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,539 times since then and 62 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on March 20, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?