Menard in Menard County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Irrigation for 2,000 acres of valley land and power for grist mills are furnished by gravity flow from San Saba River. Use of "The Ditch," running from 5 miles above town to 5 below, began in 1876. Vaughn sold his controlling interest to Gus Noyes in 1886.
Since 1905 "The Ditch" has been operated by Menard Irrigation Company, using the original dam.
Erected 1972 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 12.)
Location. 30° 54.99′ N, 99° 47.19′ W. Marker is in Menard, Texas, in Menard County. Marker is at the intersection of Ellis Street (U.S. 83) and Canal Street on Ellis Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Menard TX 76859, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Frisco Depot (approx. half a mile away); Paso de la Santa Cruz (approx. half a mile away); Arroyo de Juan Lorenzo (approx. 0.9 miles Real Presidio de San Saba (approx. one mile away); Great Western Trail (approx. one mile away); Site of Mission Santa Cruz de San Saba (approx. 3.1 miles away); Pegleg Crossing on the San Saba (approx. 11.6 miles away).
Also see . . . Acequia, Presidio San Saba. The "ditch" is part of the surviving portion of the Presidio San Saba's acequia, built by the Spanish to irrigate their agricultural fields. (Submitted on April 9, 2010, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas.)
Categories. • Agriculture • Man-Made Features • Natural Resources • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 9, 2010, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. This page has been viewed 877 times since then. Photos: 1. submitted on April 9, 2010, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. 2. submitted on April 19, 2010, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.