Defiance in Defiance County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail
1780 Marches 1813
Erected 1930 by Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission. (Marker Number A95.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission marker series.
Location. 41° 17.298′ N, 84° 21.651′ W. Marker is in Defiance, Ohio, in Defiance County. Marker is at the intersection of Fort Street and South Clinton Street (Ohio Route 66), on the right when traveling west on Fort Street. Touch for map. This historical marker is located on the north side of Fort Street, right next to the Clinton Street bridge, along the south side of the Maumee River. Marker is at or near this postal address: 581 Fort Street, Defiance OH 43512, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Pontiac Park (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Fort Defiance (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Indian Wars (approx. 0.2 Fort Defiance (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fort Defiance Flagstaff (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fort Winchester (approx. 0.2 miles away); Bark Cabin Home of Coohcoohe (approx. 0.2 miles away); French Indian Apple Tree (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Defiance.
More about this marker. This historical marker is part of the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail series which was put in place in 1930 to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the Ohio's Revolutionary War era Battle of Piqua, by the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission.
In order to accomplish this, in 1929 the state of Ohio created the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission, and then in 1930 this commission created 22 military trails, throughout western Ohio, between Cincinnati, Ohio on the state's southern border and Toledo, Ohio on the state's northern border. Each of these military trails represented the routes, or trails, used by military leaders during either the Revolutionary War, the Indian Wars, or the War of 1812. Each of these military routes connected various related
The routes of these military trails were in turn marked by type A and type B Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission markers that served as directional (type B) and distance (type A) markers. This particular marker is one of the type A markers of the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail series.
Originally, back in 1930, according to the ORMC 1931 Planning Report, there were erected 168 some of these Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission, type A, markers. To date, I know of only 3 of these type A markers that have been located and posted on the Historical Marker database (markers A-95, A-96, and A-1340). A large number of them are presently missing, but this particular marker is one of the few remaining type A, Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission markers.
Also see . . .
1. Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail System. A description of the Revolutionary Memorial Trail System developed by the state of Ohio in 1929 - 1930. (Submitted on June 9, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
2. Cartographic Map of the (Western) Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail, 1930. This is a link to information provided by the Midpointe Library System. Middletown, Trenton, West Chester, Ohio. (Submitted on September 8, 2014, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
3. 1931 'Biennium Report of the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission'. This is a link to information provided by the Ohio War of 1812 Bicentennial Commission's website, regarding the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission's military trails system and trail markers. (Submitted on March 23, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Native Americans • War of 1812 • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 10, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,173 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 10, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 5. submitted on September 8, 2014, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.