Magalia in Butte County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
The Dogtown Nugget
Erected 1955 by Centennial Parlor No. 295, Native Daughters of the Golden West. (Marker Number 771.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West marker series.
Location. 39° 48.243′ N, 121° 34.719′ W. Marker is in Magalia, California, in Butte County. Marker is on Old Skyway Road 0.3 miles north of Pentz-Magalia Road, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Magalia CA 95954, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Dogtown (approx. 0.2 miles away); Magalia Community Church / The Magalia Schoolhouse Bell (approx. ¼ mile away); “Magalia Depot & Butte County Railroad” (approx. 0.6 miles away but has been reported missing); Old Paradise (approx. 3.4 miles away); Centerville Cemetery (approx. 3.6 miles away); Paradise Pioneers PFC. Steven J. Walberg-Riotto (approx. 4.3 miles away); Old Paradise Depot (approx. 4.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Magalia.
More about this marker. This site was designated as California Registered Historical Landmark No. 771 on January 31, 1962.
Statement of Significance:
The Dogtown nugget was discovered April 12, 1859 at the Willard Claim, a hydraulic mine in the Feather River Canyon northeast of the town.
Also see . . .
1. Welcome to Dogtown. How Magalia got it's name and why the 54 pound gold nugget was called "The Dogtown Nugget". (Submitted on April 10, 2010.)
2. Magalia. A short history of Magalia with additional information on the area. (Submitted on April 23, 2010.)
Categories. • Natural Resources • Notable Events •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 10, 2010, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 2,067 times since then and 51 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on April 10, 2010, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.