Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Nacogdoches in Nacogdoches County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Old North Church Cemetery

 
 
Old North Church Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Gustafson, April 3, 2010
1. Old North Church Cemetery Marker
Inscription. According to legend, the first burial in this cemetery was that of a young girl whose family, traveling through the area when she died, buried her here before continuing their westward journey. Oral tradition also suggests that William Whitaker was already interred in a brick vault by the time Richard Sparks set aside land on this site for use as a community graveyard in 1838. The Union Baptist Church (later the Old North Church) was organized in the spring of that year. The oldest marked grave is that of Saletha Easter Whitaker (d. 1845). Dr. John M. Sparks and his wife formally deeded ten acres including the original five acres set aside by Richard Sparks to the Union church in 1892.

The cemetery historically was divided into two sections. The east side was used for the burials of local slaves, many of whom were members of the church, and eventually became a separate cemetery.

Other burials of interest include those of veterans of the American Revolution, the War of 1812, and the Texas Revolution. Records indicate that some forty-seven Confederate Civil War soldiers are buried in the southern portion of the cemetery, and twenty-one Union soldiers are interred in unmarked graves. Most of the Union veterans were victims of an epidemic of dysentery during the Reconstruction era.

The Old North Church Cemetery
Old North Church Cemetery Entrance image. Click for full size.
By Steve Gustafson, April 3, 2010
2. Old North Church Cemetery Entrance
Association was organized in 1976. With more than 950 graves in 1998, the graveyard continues to be used by descendants of early church members. The burial ground is a chronicle of the early days of Nacogdoches County.
 
Erected 1998 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12103.)
 
Location. 31° 40.062′ N, 94° 39.45′ W. Marker is in Nacogdoches, Texas, in Nacogdoches County. Marker can be reached from County Road 205, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Nacogdoches TX 75961, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of Old North Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Nacogdoches County (approx. 1.3 miles away); Alton W. Birdwell (approx. 3.1 miles away); Stephen F. Austin State Teachers College During World War II (approx. 3.3 miles away); Site of the Home of Thomas J. Rusk (approx. 3.4 miles away); Site of the Home of Juan Antonio Padilla (approx. 3.9 miles away); Westminster Presbyterian Church (approx. 3.9 miles away); La Calle Real del Norte (approx. 3.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Nacogdoches.
 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches, Etc.
 
Old North Church Cemetery image. Click for full size.
By Steve Gustafson, April 3, 2010
3. Old North Church Cemetery
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 14, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 809 times since then and 55 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on April 14, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement