Vinings in Cobb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Site: Hardy Pace’s Res. Howard’s Headquarters
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 033-84.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 52.003′ N, 84° 27.874′ W. Marker is in Vinings, Georgia, in Cobb County. Marker is on Paces Mill Road 0.1 miles east of Paces Ferry Road SE, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3052 Paces Mill Road, Atlanta GA 30339, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The 4th Corps at Vining’s Station (approx. ¼ mile away); The 4th Corps Posted Along the River (approx. 0.6 miles away); The 14th & 20th A.C. Cross at Pace's Ferry (approx. 0.7 miles away); a different marker also named The 14th & 20th A.C. Cross at Pace’s Ferry (approx. 0.7 miles away); The Errant Pontoon Bridge: Paces Ferry (approx. 0.7 miles away); Old Pace’s Ferry Road (approx. 0.8 miles away); Palmer’s & Hooker’s A.C. Cross the Chattahoochee (approx. one mile away); Union Defense Line (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Vinings.
Regarding Site: Hardy Pace’s Res. Howard’s Headquarters. The Hardy Pace house was burned to the ground during the Civil War, leaving only a granite step. The present house on the site was built by Solomon Pace sometime after 1865, and has no connection to the Civil War.
Also see . . . Archaeologist hopes to find truth behind historic home.... The Marrieta Daily Journal's article (12-23-2011) regarding the archaeological research into the use of the property as a hospital, "...A Georgia historical marker has stood in the yard of the Pace House since 1954. But discoveries made during an ongoing archaeological investigation could mean some changes will be needed to the old sign....there could be some questions about the last couple of lines on the sign, which say the house was used as a hospital for Union soldiers wounded in the capture and siege of Atlanta, with the home later being destroyed by fire. ...But a researcher investigating the property has discovered relics on the property that may indicate the house was not used as a hospital." (Submitted on December 23, 2011.)
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Bridges & Viaducts • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 16, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,604 times since then and 23 times this year. Last updated on April 20, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photo 1. submitted on March 16, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?