Gilbert in Lexington County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Lewie Chapel (Old Gilbert Methodist Church) / The Lewie Family
Lewie Chapel, a Methodist church founded on this site in the 1870s by Solomon R. Lewie (1835-1878) and others, was later known as Lewiedale Methodist Church and after 1910 as Gilbert Methodist Church. The original sanctuary, replaced in 1960 by a new sanctuary about 1 mi. W, burned in the early 1970s.
The town of Gilbert, also known as Gilbert Hollow, was called Lewiedale from 1886 to 1899 after the family of Samuel (1802-1865) and Nancy Hendrix Lewie (1807-1865). Four of six Lewie sons saw Confederate service in the 15th S.C. Infantry, with Frederick S. (1831-1873) as its lieutenant colonel and James H. (1838-1889) as a captain. Several family members are buried here.
Erected 2000 by The 15th Reg. S.C. Vols., Sons of Confederate Veterans. (Marker Number 32-31.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Sons of Confederate Veterans/United Confederate Veterans marker series.
Location. 33° 55.413′ N, 81° 23.317′ W. Marker is in Gilbert, South Carolina, in Lexington County. Marker is at the intersection of Lewie Street (State Highway 32-737) and Waters Ferry Road (State Highway 32-37), on the right when traveling east on Lewie Street Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gilbert SC 29054, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Revolutionary Skirmish Near Juniper Springs (approx. half a mile away); Hartley House (approx. 7.4 miles away); St. Peter's (Meetze's) Lutheran Church (approx. 7.4 miles away); Pinarea / Quattlebaum Sawmill, Flour Mill, and Rifle Factory (approx. 7.8 miles away); Moorefield Memorial Highway (approx. 7.8 miles away); Lee's Tavern Site (approx. 8 miles away); Laurence Corley House (approx. 9.5 miles away); Lexington County Veterans Monument (approx. 9.6 miles away).
Regarding Lewie Chapel (Old Gilbert Methodist Church) / The Lewie Family. South Carolina Department of Archives and History - James B. Clary -
Excerpt:The 15th South Carolina’s initial trial-by-fire occurred on Hilton Head Island during the Battle of Port Royal Sound on November 7, 1861. Following the Regiment’s service on the coast of South Carolina, they were transferred to Robert E. Lee’s Army of Northern Virginia (ANV) in July 1862....
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches, Etc. • Notable Places • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 5, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,100 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on May 5, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.