Buffalo Junction in Mecklenburg County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
—John H. Kerr Dam & Reservoir —
On the other side of the county road was the resort area of Buffalo “Lithia” Springs. Spring #1 was located here, as were the hotels, cabins, a pavilion, tennis court, bowling alley, game room, barbershop, post office, kitchen and dining facilities as well as riding stables and a large vegetable garden. Today, forest has reclaimed the area and little remains that would indicate that people came from throughout the region to visit Buffalo Springs.
To the left is a photo postcard, circa 1930’s of Solomon’s Temple, one of three hotels. This hotel was actually located on this side of the county road about 100 yards to your left.
Panoramic Views of Buffalo Springs Resort: These two photos were taken in 1936, a few years prior to the dismantling of the resort. The photographer stood in the center of the main resort area, which was on the other side of the county road, and took ten photographs that were then merged together to form these two panoramic views. The two photographs comprise a 360 degree view of the resort.
Top photo: Views to the north (left), east and south (right); Patterson Heights is on the far left, the row of cabins was known as Sycamore or Smokey Row. The large building is the administration building. To the
Bottom: Views to the south (left), west and north (right). The men’s bathroom/barbershop/billiards room is at the far left, with pavilion and Spring #1 nearby. The four cabins lining the county road was known as Bachelor’s Row. The center road leads to Solomon’s Temple, on the other side of the county road. The post office is at the far left end of the long row of cabins known as “Rowdy Row”, and on the far right is Patterson Heights.
Erected by US Army Corps of Engineers, Wilmington District.
Location. 36° 38.9′ N, 78° 39.728′ W. Marker is in Buffalo Junction, Virginia, in Mecklenburg County. Marker can be reached from Buffalo Springs Road (Virginia Route 767) 0.2 miles north of Highway Fifty Eight (U.S. 58). Touch for map. This marker is located at the Buffalo Springs Historic Site. Marker is in this post office area: Buffalo Junction VA 24529, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Buffalo Springs (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Buffalo Springs (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Buffalo Springs (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mecklenburg County / Halifax County (approx. 2.2 miles away); Charlotte County / Mecklenburg County (approx. 5.4 miles away); Prestwould Plantation (approx. 5.7 miles away); Occaneechi Indians (approx. 7.4 miles away); William Munford Tuck (approx. 7.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Buffalo Junction.
More about this marker. On the upper left is a photo of “Solomon’s temple, Buffalo Springs, Va.”
On the lower panel are two panoramic photos of the resort.
Categories. • Man-Made Features • Natural Features • Natural Resources • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 20, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 543 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 20, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.