Near Burley in Cassia County, Idaho — The American West (Mountains)
From 1880-2, freighters hauling supplies for a mining rush to Wood River used Starrh's ferry (powered by river current when stiff winds were not blowing too hard), and local traffic lasted until Milner reservoir flooded out summer operations after 1904. But a small town with a post office (1909-12) remained there for more than a decade. During that time, nearby bridges replaced Starrh's ferry.
Erected by Idaho Historical Society. (Marker Number 28.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Idaho State Historical Society marker series.
Location. 42° 30.427′ N, 113° 55.652′ W. Marker is near Burley, Idaho, in Cassia County. Marker is on U.S. 30 at milepost 253, 0.3 miles east of S 700 W, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Burley ID 83318, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Milner Dam (approx. 1½ miles away).
Categories. • Roads & Vehicles • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 7, 2010, by Rebecca Maxwell of Boise, Idaho. This page has been viewed 897 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 7, 2010, by Rebecca Maxwell of Boise, Idaho. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.