Asheville in Buncombe County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Elizabeth Blackwell, M.D.
Erected by Buncombe County Medical Auxillary, Buncombe County Medical Society , Mary Whiting Ewing Foundation, Wachovia Bank.
Location. 35° 35.68′ N, 82° 33.219′ W. Marker is in Asheville, North Carolina, in Buncombe County. Marker is on Patton Avenue near Church Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. The monument is on the side of the Wachovia Bank Building. Marker is in this post office area: Asheville NC 28801, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Immortal Image (within shouting distance of this marker); O. Henry (within shouting distance of this marker); Stepping Out (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Jimmie Rodgers (about 400 feet away); Appalachian Stage Robert E. Lee (about 600 feet away); Crossroads (about 600 feet away); The Early Years In Asheville's Historic Central Square (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Asheville.
Also see . . . Elizabeth Blackwell from Wikipedia. ... In 1845, she went to Asheville, North Carolina, where she read medicine in the home of Dr. John Dickson. Afterwards, she read with his brother Dr. Samuel Henry Dickson in Charleston, South Carolina. ... During the American Civil War, Blackwell trained many women to be nurses and sent them to the Union Army. Many women were interested and received training at this time. After the war, Blackwell had time, in 1868, to establish a Women's Medical College at the Infirmary to train women, physicians, and doctors. (Submitted on June 8, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Science & Medicine • Women •
Credits. This page was last revised on May 7, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 8, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 2,828 times since then and 53 times this year. This page was the Marker of the Week November 8, 2015. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 8, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.