Fort Atkinson in Jefferson County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Atkinson with more than 4000 frontier soldiers had followed Black Hawk up the Rock River in an attempt to end the Black Hawk War. After an unproductive sortie east up Bark River, Atkinson returned and built Fort Koshkonong, later known as Fort Atkinson.
The fort, constructed of oak logs eight feet tall, was abandoned when the army pursued and defeated Black Hawk at the Battle of Bad Axe in August 1832. Thus ended the Sauk's last hard fight against continued encroachment of white men onto their tribal lands.
In September of 1836, Dwight Foster arrived and erected the first cabin in what is now Fort Atkinson on this site. He and other settlers used logs from the stockade to build cabins, river rafts and for firewood. By 1840 little of the fort remained.
Erected 1966. (Marker Number 152.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Black Hawk War, and the Wisconsin Historical Society marker series.
Location. 42° 55.604′ N, 88° 49.894′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 400 block of Milwaukee Avenue East, Fort Atkinson WI 53538, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Panther Intaglio (approx. 1.2 miles away); Soldiers and Sailors (approx. 1.8 miles away); Black Hawk War Encampment (approx. 2.8 miles away); Lorine Niedecker (approx. 4.9 miles away); Lake Koshkonong Effigy Mounds (approx. 5.3 miles away); Whitewater Historical Society Depot Museum (approx. 8.2 miles away); Revolutionary War Veterans (approx. 8.4 miles away); Zion Church (approx. 8½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Atkinson.
Categories. • Native Americans • Wars, US Indian •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 1, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 1,329 times since then. Last updated on June 11, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 1, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.