Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Madison in Dane County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Keenan House

1858

 
 
Keenan House Marker image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, June 28, 2010
1. Keenan House Marker
Inscription. Originally built in the early Romanesque Revival style, this house was altered in 1870 by the addition of a mansard roof. The Milwaukee cream brick structure was built for, but never occupied by, Napolean Bonaparte Van Slyke, first cashier of the Dane County Bank. James Robbins, Catfish River flouring mill operator, was its first owner-occupant in 1865. Dr. George Keenan, prominent Madison surgeon, lived in the house from 1900-1916.
 
Erected 1971 by Madison Landmarks Commission. (Marker Number 3.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Wisconsin, Madison Landmarks Commission marker series.
 
Location. 43° 4.739′ N, 89° 23.272′ W. Marker is in Madison, Wisconsin, in Dane County. Marker is at the intersection of East Gilman Street and North Pinckney Street, on the right when traveling west on East Gilman Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 28 East Gilman Street, Madison WI 53703, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Pierce House (within shouting distance of this marker); Kendall House (within shouting distance of this marker); Bashford House (within shouting
Keenan House image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, June 28, 2010
2. Keenan House
The marker is on the ground by the sidewalk in front of the house.
distance of this marker); Quisling Towers Apartments (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Keyes House (about 300 feet away); Period Garden Park (about 400 feet away); Mansion Hill Historic District (about 400 feet away); Old Governor's Mansion (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Madison.
 
Regarding Keenan House. According to the Madison Landmarks Commission, "It is said that [Napoleon Bonaparte Van Slyke] changed his mind about living in the house when Laura, his first wife, died. The house was sold to James Richardson, a business partner of Van Slyke and one of Madison's early business leaders... Chauncey Williams, another entrepreneur from New York state, added the 'French' roof in 1870. Dr. George Keenan ... lived in the house with his wife, Mary."
 
Also see . . .
1. Van Slyke House. Marker for the house Van Slyke built and occupied instead. (Submitted on July 1, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.) 

2. Madison Landmarks Commission. The landmark nomination form for the house (pdf).
Keenan House image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, June 28, 2010
3. Keenan House
View of the south corner of the house.
(Submitted on March 19, 2011, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.) 
 
Categories. Notable BuildingsNotable Persons
 
Keenan House image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, June 29, 2010
4. Keenan House
View of the east corner of the house.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 28, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 1,251 times since then and 59 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on June 28, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.   4. submitted on July 1, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement