Near Fernandina Beach in Nassau County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Fort Clinch Military Road
In 1847, with the start of the fort's construction, military engineers realized the necessity to create a road that would connect Fort Clinch to Old Fernandina. This road would serve as a vital lifeline for the movement of soldiers, supplies and civilian workers involved in the construction of the fort.
With the outbreak of the war in 1861, Confederate forces stationed in Old Fernandina seized control of the fort for the Southern cause by way of the military road. After eleven months of occupation, Southern forces evacuated Fort Clinch along the same route. Union forces regained control of the fort and would use this road throughout their military occupation (1862-1865).
The road was 8 feet wide, 4 feet high and stretched for 1 mile. Two paralleling trenches were dug on either side of the road with dirt placed in the middle to create the road bed. Timbers were then laid across the bed to act as additional reinforcement and were again covered with more dirt. Because of the road's resemblance to a popular fabric of the era; this construction method is known as a corduroy road. The two trenches allowed the road to drain off rain water. For additional
Erected by Florida Park Service.
Location. 30° 42.179′ N, 81° 27.198′ W. Marker is near Fernandina Beach, Florida, in Nassau County. Marker is on Fort Clinch Road 3.1 miles north of Atlantic Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. This historical marker is located in the Fort Clinch state Park and you will need to pay an admission fee in order to be able to view it. The marker is situated at the end of the Fort Clinch Road, along the southern edge of the Fort Clinch parking lot, almost directly opposite of the Fort Clinch State Park Visitor Center. Marker is in this post office area: Fernandina Beach FL 32034, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fort Clinch (within shouting distance of this marker); Plaza San Carlos (approx. one mile away); Fort San Carlos (approx. one mile away); McClure's Hill (approx. 1.5 miles away); Fernandez Grant (approx. 2 miles away); Phelan-Verot House Built Prior to 1866 (approx. 2.1 miles away); Amelia Island Lighthouse (approx. 2.2 miles away); David L. Yulee (approx. 2.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fernandina Beach.
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Military • Roads & Vehicles • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 22, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,084 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on July 22, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.