Tennga in Murray County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Old Federal Road
Rights to open the trace were granted informally by the Cherokees in 1803 and confirmed by the Treat of Tellico, Tenn. in 1805. Prior to that period the thoroughfare served as an Indian trading path to Augusta.
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 105-10.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 34° 58.917′ N, 84° 44.067′ W. Marker is in Tennga, Georgia, in Murray County. Marker is on U.S. 411 0.3 miles north of Liberty Church Road, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Tennga GA 30751, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. McNair's Stand (approx. 1.6 miles away in Tennessee); Red Clay Council Ground (approx. 11 miles away in Tennessee); Historic Red Clay (was approx. 11.2 miles away but has been reported missing. ); a different marker also named Old Federal Road (approx. 11½ miles away); The Halfway House (approx. 12.9 miles away in Tennessee); Nancy Ward (approx. 13 miles away in Tennessee); Fort Mountain State Park (approx. 13.9 miles away); Legends of Fort Mountain (approx. 14 miles away).
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Native Americans • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 1, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 538 times since then and 39 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on August 1, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?