Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
San Antonio in Bexar County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

The Convento / El convento

 
 
The Convento / El convento Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., March 29, 2010
1. The Convento / El convento Marker
Inscription.
"From this roof one can hunt without risk, in comfort and with good success. I saw so many ducks, geese, and cranes in a nearby field that, as I said, they covered the ground, and so close to the house that it would be impossible to miss the shot."
Fr. Juan Agustín de Morfi, 1777-78

In front of you are the remains of the convento, which provided housing for missionaries and lay assistants. In 1785, the convento had nine rooms downstairs and five upstairs, covered by a flat roof. The ruins standing today reflect a major reconstruction begun by Benedictine monks in 1861 - work that was never completed.

———————

Desde esta azotea se puede cazar sin riesgo, con comodidad y buen suceso; pues vi en una labor inmediata tanto pato, ánsar, y grulla que como dije, cubrían el terreno y tan cerca de la casa qaue era imposible se errase el tiro.
Fr. [Juan] Agustín de Morfi, 1777-78

Frente a usted están los restos del convento, el cual daba alojamiento a los misioneros y ayudantes legos. En 1785, el convento tenía nueve habitaciones en el piso inferior y cinco en el piso superior, y estaban cubiertas por una azotea. Las ruinas que hoy se encuentran reflejan una reconstrucción importante iniciada por los monjes benedictinos en 1861 - un trabajo que
Photo on The Convento / El convento Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., March 29, 2010
2. Photo on The Convento / El convento Marker
[Caption reads]
The church and convento, about 1885
La iglesia y el convento, circa 1885
nunca fue completado.
 
Erected by National Park Service.
 
Location. 29° 21.714′ N, 98° 28.772′ W. Marker is in San Antonio, Texas, in Bexar County. Touch for map. Marker is inside the Mission San Jose compound, part of the San Antonio Missions National Historic Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2202 Roosevelt Avenue, San Antonio TX 78210, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Rose Window / Ventana de Rosa (within shouting distance of this marker); The Church / La iglesia (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mission San José / La Misión de San José (about 300 feet away); Indian Quarters / Habitaciones de los Indios (about 500 feet away); The Mission Road / El Camino de las Misiones (about 500 feet away); San Antonio Missions / Las misiones de San Antonio (about 600 feet away); The Oge House (approx. 3.9 miles away); "Flower the Tower" (approx. 4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Antonio.
 
Also see . . .  San Antonio Missions National Historical Park. (Submitted on August 5, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Hispanic AmericansNative AmericansSettlements & Settlers
 
Drawing of The Convento on Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., March 29, 2010
3. Drawing of The Convento on Marker
The Convento / El convento and Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., March 29, 2010
4. The Convento / El convento and Marker
The Convento / El convento image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., March 29, 2010
5. The Convento / El convento
The Convento / El convento image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., March 29, 2010
6. The Convento / El convento
View from The Convento / El convento image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., March 29, 2010
7. View from The Convento / El convento
Mission San Jose Site Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr.
8. Mission San Jose Site Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 5, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 802 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on August 5, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.   8. submitted on August 3, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.
Paid Advertisement