Sturgis in Meade County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Bear Butte (Mato Paha) Indian Camp
Crazy Horse, an Oglalla, then a young man, was inspired by this plan of resistance and vowed to dedicate his life to this cause. While the participants did not strictly adhere to the principles then agreed upon, the hostility and discontent of the next two decades culminated in the Battle of the Little Big Horn in 1876. Ft. Meade, adjacent hereto, first established as Camp Ruhlen in August 1878, was often obliged to house, feed and clothe Indian encampments here. For years Oglallas under Chief Lips claimed this as their abode but with the coming of settlers and the establishment of Reservation boundaries the site was abandoned. Today, mute testimony to the use and extent of this site by the Indians is to be seen in the numerous scars, made by sharpening tools, in the great rock walls to the north and on the huge floodplain boulders lying near the Creek.
Location. 44° 24.716′ N, 103° 28.971′ W. Marker is in Sturgis, South Dakota, in Meade County. Marker is on 206th Street (State Highway 34) near Custer Avenue, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sturgis SD 57785, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 17 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Civilian Conservation Corps Camps (here, next to this marker); Charles Nolin, Pony Mail Carrier (approx. 1˝ miles away); Bear Butte (approx. 2.1 miles away); Camp J.G. Sturgis / Scooptown (approx. 5.6 miles away); Civilian Conservation Corps Camp (approx. 12 miles away); Multiple Purpose Management in Action (approx. 16.1 miles away); a different marker also named Civilian Conservation Corps Camp (approx. 16.4 miles away).
Categories. • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers • Wars, US Indian •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 7, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 1,038 times since then and 57 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 7, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. 4. submitted on August 10, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.