Monticello in Jasper County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Site of the Firstt County Court
When Randolph County, now Jasper County, was separated from Baldwin County, Dec. 10, 1807, the Legislature ruled that all courts and other public business in the new county be transacted at the home of John Towns. The historic Towns Home stood on this land lot, to the rear of the Reese house.
Erected 1957 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 079-8.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 18.183′ Touch for map. The marker stands on opposite street of Eatonton Street from the house. Marker is in this post office area: Monticello GA 31064, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of Inn (approx. 0.2 miles away); Jasper County (approx. ¼ mile away); Jackson Springs (approx. 1½ miles away); The Stoneman Raid (approx. 2.2 miles away); Hebron Baptist Church (approx. 2.2 miles away); The March to the Sea (approx. 3.9 miles away); The Isaac Parker Inn (approx. 6.6 miles away); Home of Senator Alfred Cuthbert (was approx. 7.1 miles away but has been reported missing. ). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Monticello.
Also see . . . David Addison Reese - Biographical Directory of the United States Congress. (Submitted on August 17, 2010, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 14, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 791 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 14, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.