Rye in Westchester County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
This is one of some 230 markers erected on the Boston Post Road in 1763
'Remove not the ancient landmark which thy fathers have set.'(Proverbs XXII Verse 28.)
Erected 1927 by Village of Rye.
Location. 40° 58.777′ N, 73° 41.05′ W. Marker is in Rye, New York, in Westchester County. Marker is at the intersection of Boston Post Road (Route 1 at milepost 26) and Rectory Street on Boston Post Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Rectory Street, Rye NY 10580, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Rye Fort 1675 (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named This is one of some 230 markers erected on the Boston Post Road in 1763 (was approx. 0.9 miles away but has been reported missing. ); African Cemetery 1860-1964 (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Purdy Burying Ground (approx. one mile away); Playland Amusement Park (approx. Rye Meeting House (approx. 1½ miles away); Rye Soldiers Memorial (approx. 1½ miles away); Christopher Columbus (approx. 1½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rye.
More about this marker. The marker is set into a low wall at the rear of Christ's Church.
Regarding This is one of some 230 markers erected on the Boston Post Road in 1763. This mile marker is behind the church that the father of one of Rye's most famous residents (John Jay) helped establish, Christ's Church on Boston Post Road. Though the number has been eroded off by years of age and acid rain, it lies 2 miles from mile marker 24 at the Jay Estate so it should be mile marker 26.
There is an amusing story behind this particular milestone: it was apparently found by publisher GP Putnam in an abandoned lot he purchased in 1922 and he cemented it into the foundation of his country home in Rye on Locust Avenue (the same home he would occupy with his future, second wife and famous aviatrix Amelia Earhart years later.) In 1927, restoration of these mile markers to their place on Boston Post Road was spearheaded by the President of the Village of Rye, John Motley Morehead. Morehead reasoned "there are so few landmarks in America having an age that these landmarks possess." Not surprisingly, Morehead demanded that Putnam return the mile stone. Putnam was reluctant at first and initially offered a replica but when the Rye City Council threatened to sue, it appears Putnam complied.
A puzzling addendum - there is another mile marker #26 one mile up the road and it bears a Rye plaque too but the writing on the milestone itself is different from the other stones in Rye - NY is written in script rather than block letters.
1. Marker 26 removed
The marker was removed from the stone wall on July 17th 2012 with a jackhammer. The marker was damaged during removal.
— Submitted July 30, 2012.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Patriots & Patriotism • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 19, 2010, by Suzanne Clary of Rye, New York. This page has been viewed 571 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on August 19, 2010, by Suzanne Clary of Rye, New York. 2. submitted on August 20, 2010, by Suzanne Clary of Rye, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.