Salisbury in Rowan County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Burial Trenches and Salisbury Prison
by the Salisbury Confederate Prison
for the burial of prisoners, most of
whom died after October 1864.
Erected 1992 by United Daughters of the Confederacy.
Marker series. This marker is included in the United Daughters of the Confederacy marker series.
Location. 35° 39.556′ N, 80° 28.496′ W. Marker is in Salisbury, North Carolina, in Rowan County. Marker is on Government Road when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is located in Salisbury National Cemetery, at the end of Government Road. Marker is in this post office area: Salisbury NC 28144, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Salisbury National Cemetery (here, next to this marker); Unknown Soldiers Monument (here, next to this marker); Maine (a few steps from this marker); Pennsylvania Monument (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); C.S. Military Prison (approx. 0.4 miles away); City of Salisbury Meroney’s Theatre (approx. half a mile away); Andrew Jackson (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Salisbury.
More about this marker. The marker contains a map of the area indicating the locations of the Salisbury Prison 1861-1865 and the National Cemetery trenches. Also present is a layout of the Salisbury National Cemetery showing the location of the different plots and the site of the marker and the burial trenches.
Also see . . . The Salisbury NC Confederate Civil War Prison. (Submitted on September 3, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 3, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 944 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 3, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.