Near Delphi in Carroll County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Wabash & Erie Canal
Operating The Canal
from Toledo, Ohio to Evansville, Indiana
Construction of the Wabash & Erie Canal began in Fort Wayne on July 4, 1832 and was finished through Carroll County, to Delphi by 1840. Built by the hand of laborers and the brute strength of their animals, a waterway was slowly cleared through the Wabash Valley wilderness.
With the addition of two land grants, the project extended 468 miles and by 1853 canal boats began navigating between Lake Erie at Toledo, Ohio and Evansville, Indiana on the Ohio River. Credited for helping develop Indiana and points west, the Wabash & Erie was ordered closed by court order in 1874 and sold in 1876.
With a chamber measuring 90 feet long and 15 feet wide, the space Lock No.32 once occupied can be seen here in the present side ditch. A lockkeeper was stationed at the Meutzer Tavern that once stood on the east of the road.
Two sets of large wooden gates with wickets were operated by hand that allowed water to enter into or to discharge from the lock. It took several minutes for a boat to make the 9 foot change in elevation and pass through the lock. Often a long line of canal boats waited to make passage from the level of the lake or the Canal as they made their way to and from Paragon.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Wabash & Erie Canal marker series.
Location. 40° 38.964′ N, 86° 39.45′ W. Marker is near Delphi, Indiana, in Carroll County. Marker is on Road N 700 W north of Road W 675 N, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Delphi IN 46923, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. The Carrollton Bridge (a few steps from this marker); Mentzer Tavern (a few steps from this marker); Carrollton on the Wabash (a few steps from this marker); Trail of Death (approx. 1.9 miles away); Site of Cabin Home Gen. Samuel Milroy (approx. 3.8 miles away); Samuel Milroy (approx. 3.8 miles away); Spanish American War Veterans Gave Their Cannon (approx. 4˝ miles away); Civil War Memorial - Carroll County Indiana (approx. 4˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Delphi.
More about this marker. Admittedly the sun and shade gave problems in taking the photos. The public is invited to re-photograph and/or replace any of the ones on this listing.
Also, if you have any old photos of the canal in operation or being built - they too would be very well welcomed. Please check your old family keep-sakes for old letters, journels, or other printed material about travel on Wabash & Erie Canal. Any and all of them are important and need to be attached!!
Also see . . .
1. "Wabash & Erie Canal Park" - Delphi, Indiana::. This organization has the greatest concentration and most of the known remains of the Wabash & Erie Canal in Indiana. The many links on this web site are very interesting (Submitted on September 8, 2010, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana.)
2. "The men who dug the Canal" ::. A light and lively song with many old photos of canal builders in the process of digging a canal. (Submitted on September 8, 2010, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana.)
3. "Angel of the Canal" ::. Many fell ill digging canals. In frontier days there were few doctors and medicine was scarce. In the Brecksville, Ohio area Mrs. Johnson became known as the "Angel of the Canal" for her care of the ill. (Submitted on September 8, 2010, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana.)
4. Wabash & Erie Canal Trail in Delphi Indiana (Courtesy of "Native Robin")::. (Submitted on January 18, 2012, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana.)
Categories. • Bridges & Viaducts • Man-Made Features • Roads & Vehicles • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 8, 2010, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 1,405 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on September 8, 2010, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.