Token Creek in Dane County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The name Token was derived from Tokaunee, a minor Indian chief. Completed in 1844, the Fort Winnebago Road from Madison passed through Token Creek. Guided by the landmark Big Hill, homesteaders and lumbermen journeyed through on their way to northern pineries.
Token Creek had a school, Congregational church, two mills and an early fish hatchery. Veterans of five wars, including the Revolutionary War, rest in the cemetery.
Until destroyed by fire in 1881, the Token Creek Tavern was the area's social center. Under the glow of tallow candles, couples danced to the fiddle music of Marcus Wheeler, father of poetess Ella Wheeler Wilcox. Token Creek declined after the railroads bypassed it.
Erected 1984 by Dane County Historical Society. (Marker Number 21.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Wisconsin, Dane County Historical Society marker series.
Location. 43° 11.791′ Touch for map. The marker is in a wayside next to the creek just south of the Token Creek Preserve. Marker is in this post office area: De Forest WI 53532, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Rural Free Delivery in Wisconsin (approx. 3 miles away); Maureen Mengelt Memorial (approx. 3.1 miles away); Site of the First Well in DeForest (approx. 3.9 miles away); Our Bell (approx. 4.1 miles away); The De Forest Depot (approx. 4.2 miles away); De Forest Centennial (approx. 4.2 miles away); Georgia O'Keeffe (approx. 4.3 miles away); Andreas Dahl (approx. 4.3 miles away).
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. This is a marker for Ella Wheeler Wilcox, as mentioned in the Token Creek marker.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Entertainment • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 14, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 1,107 times since then and 76 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 14, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.