Texas City in Galveston County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Texas City Dike
Under the direction of William Moore and Lt. Col. C. S. Riche of the U. S. Army Corps of Engineers' Galveston District, the dike was completed in 1915 at a cost of $1.4 million. Originally 28,200 feet in length, it was extended to its current 5.4 miles in 1934. Thus protected from the bay's tidal action and from excessive silting, the Texas City channel became a busy shipping lane, which led to significant economic growth for the community.
In the latter part of the 20th century, the Texas City dike became a prime recreational site in this part of Galveston County, boasting fishing piers, bait shops, boat launch sites, refreshment stands, and a marina.
Erected 1994 by Texas
Location. 29° 23.561′ N, 94° 53.567′ W. Marker is in Texas City, Texas, in Galveston County. Marker is at the intersection of Bay Street and Dike Road, on the right when traveling north on Bay Street. Touch for map. Located in Anchor Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 900 Bay Street, Texas City TX 77590, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Anchor from Freighter Grand Camp (here, next to this marker); First Aero Squadron (here, next to this marker); William Jefferson Jones (approx. 0.4 miles away); Shoal Point and Half Moon Shoal Lighthouse (approx. 0.4 miles away); Site of Austinia (approx. 0.4 miles away); Old Bay Lake Ranch (approx. 0.4 miles away); Wedell's Corner (approx. 0.4 miles away); F-100F North American Super Sabre (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Texas City.
Categories. • Man-Made Features • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 26, 2010, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,268 times since then and 59 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 26, 2010, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.