Appomattox in Appomattox County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The McLean House
Erected by National Park Service.
Location. This marker has been replaced by another marker nearby. It was located near 37° 22.645′ N, 78° 47.836′ W. Marker was in Appomattox, Virginia, in Appomattox County. Marker could be reached from State Highway 24, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Richmond-Lynchburg Stage Road, which is a walking path today, on the left when traveling west in Appomattox Court House National Historic Park. Marker was in this post office area: Appomattox VA 24522, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. A different marker also named McLean House (here, next to this marker); Clover Hill Tavern (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Appomattox Court House (about 500 feet away); April 1865 (about 500 feet away); County Jail (about 500 feet away); Tibbs Lane (about 600 feet away); Gordon’s Attack April 9, 1865 (about 600 feet away); The Surrender Ceremony (approx. 0.2 miles away).
Also see . . . Park Service excerpt. The surrender of the Army of Northern Virginia allowed the Federal Government to redistribute forces and bring increased pressure to bear in other parts of the south that would result in the surrender of the remaining field armies of the Confederacy over the next few months. (Submitted on April 5, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Military • Notable Places • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 5, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,289 times since then and 58 times this year. Last updated on September 28, 2010, by Thomas R. Terry of Appomattox, Virginia. This page was the Marker of the Week April 5, 2015. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 5, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 6. submitted on September 29, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.