Langtry in Val Verde County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of Vinegarroon
Crossing the Pecos River Canyon was the last major obstacle the Southern Pacific Railroad faced in completing its southern transcontinental route linking New Orleans and San Francisco. As "Tunnel No. 2" was excavated on the west side of the canyon in 1882, a camp for the railroad workers was established near the site. Named Vinegarroon for a type of scorpion found in the area, the camp served as a temporary home for thousands of primarily Chinese laborers. Roy Bean had a saloon and served as Justice of the Peace in Vinegarroon until it was abandoned after the rail line was completed in 1883.
Erected 2001 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12694.)
Location. 29° 45.969′ N, 101° 23.181′ W. Marker is in Langtry, Texas, in Val Verde County. Marker can be reached from U.S. 90 4˝ miles north of the Pecos River, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is one of three in a roadside pull-off about 4.6 miles northwest of the Pecos River High Bridge. Marker is in this post office area: Langtry TX 78871, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Near Site, Southern Pacific Ceremony of Silver Spike (within shouting distance Railroad Bridges Over the Pecos (within shouting distance of this marker); The Pecos River in Literature and Folklore (approx. 4.6 miles away); Pecos River High Bridge (approx. 4.6 miles away); Medal of Honor Fight, 1875 (approx. 4.6 miles away); Fitzsimmons-Maher Prizefight (approx. 10˝ miles away); Eagle’s Nest (approx. 10.6 miles away); Robert Thomas Hill (approx. 10.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Langtry.
More about this marker. Google Maps identifies the area as Del Rio Northwest, TX
Additional keywords. Alien workers.
Categories. • Asian Americans • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 17, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 3, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 966 times since then and 46 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on October 3, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 2. submitted on October 4, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 3. submitted on November 21, 2011, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. 4. submitted on May 19, 2012, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.